How we support trainee therapists
Intensive personal psychotherapy is a fundamental requirement for any person training to work professionally as a psychotherapist. The cost and affordability of personal therapy is potentially an obstacle to embarking on or completing a professional training. The Training Fund’s foremost function is to offer financial support.
Through the provision of interest-free loans or grants the Training Fund can offer essential financial support for people living or working in East Anglia who have embarked on a recognised professional training in Psychoanalytic or Jungian Analytic Therapy with adults or with children and adolescents.
More recently, funding has been extended to consider people training in psychoanalytically-informed Couple and Group Analytical Psychotherapy.
The Board of Management will also consider applications from mental health professionals working in NHS settings, who wish to enhance their skills through participation in a psychodynamic or psychoanalytically informed module of training, such as supervision, provided by a nationally recognised psychotherapy training organisation.
To qualify for financial support from the B.B.Zeitlyn Psychotherapy Training Fund you must :
- live or work in East Anglia
- have been accepted for a professional training in psychoanalytic psychotherapy with a requirement of a minimum of twice weekly personal psychotherapy sessions leading to accreditation with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP), the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) or the Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP), the Association of Family Therapy (AFT) or the Institute of Family Therapy (IFT)
- remain in personal psychotherapy at least twice weekly for the duration of your training with a member of one of the above institutions.
Loans and Grants
Successful applicants will be offered:
- an interest-free loan of up to £2,500.00 per year, for one to three years
- a further loan of £2,500.00 after the third year, in exceptional circumstances only
- favourable terms of loan repayment beginning 12 months after completion of training, either as a lump sum or in instalments, as agreed with the Board of Management
- a single one-off grant of £600.00 to support their training. The recipient of a grant may apply for a loan later.
How to Apply
You can apply by post or by using our online application form. Please note that all information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Eligible applicants will be interviewed by a member of the Board of Management. The final decision to offer or to renew a loan, or to award a grant, rests with the Board of Management.
Apply in writing
You can send your application letter to the Chair of the Board of Management, care of the c/o the Honorary Secretary Ms Tracy Papworth, 34 Church Road, Stow cum Quy, Cambridge CB25 9AF or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following:
- your CV
- The organisation you are training with
- details of your psychotherapist, length of therapy and frequency of sessions